As soon as the temperature in the Netherlands drops, the Dutch start to dream of the prospect of being able to skate on the canals in Amsterdam. Even if the canals don’t freeze this year, there are plenty of places in Amsterdam to practice your skating skills during the Winter Festival Amsterdam.
Corona / COVID19 update
On Friday 26 November, new measures were announced to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Fortunately, it is not a hard lockdown, but there are important measures. Below, we have briefly described the most important measures. On Tuesday evening, December 14, there will probably be another press conference to see if and what measures are needed after December 17. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date.
- The new measures will apply from 28 November to 17 December 2021.
- Restaurants, shops, attractions, museums and events will close at 5pm.
- During the day, the canal cruises, attractions, museums have limited capacity. Book in our ticketshop.
- After 5 p.m. you can still go out and restaurants can offer take-away and delivery services
- The Coronapas QR code is mandatory at museums, ice rinks, canal cruises, attractions, restaurants, etc.
- In indoor locations, a mouth mask must be worn when walking.
- The Light Festival Amsterdam has permission to continue! How is not yet known.
- The (evening) canal cruise through Amsterdam sails every day between 10.00 – 17.00 hours.
- Ice rink on the Museumplein in Amsterdam is open every day from 10.00 – 17.00 hrs.
- It is not yet known if and when the skating rink on the Rembrandtplein will open.
- Visit the official website of rijksoverheid.nl for more information
About ice skating in Amsterdam
Although ice skating on the frozen canals of Amsterdam is a magical winter experience, it unfortunately does not occur every year. The temperature must remain well below 0 degrees for 4 consecutive days to make the ice thick enough to skate over it. When conditions look good, boat traffic from certain channels is blocked. Fingers crossed that this is happening this year.
However, every winter visit to Amsterdam includes a visit to a skating rink. The experience is unique and you have a choice of different ice rinks. Below you will find the best spots for ice skating in Amsterdam during the Winter Festival.
Ice skating on Museumplein (Rijksmuseum)
Are you ready for a winter experience at one of the best locations in the centre of Amsterdam? Ice*Amsterdam is located on the Museumplein just in front of the famous Rijksmuseum. This temporary ice rink is fully decorated in winter theme with Christmas trees, a winter market, special lights and even a replica of the Skinny Bridge in Amsterdam. If you are not into ice skating you should definitely go for some drinks or food. From 15 december till 25 December there is also a Christmas market at the Museumplein.
- Location: Museumplein Amsterdam
- Price: 2 hours skating including skate rental € 12.50
- Opening days and times: From 13 November 2021 to 30 January 2022
- Sunday till Thursday: 10 am – 9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10 am – 10 pm
Ice Skating in Amsterdam RAI
You will get the ultimate winter experience when you visit the Winter Paradise in the Amsterdam RAI. It’s basically a winter theme park for young and old. There are many activities like ice skating, snow slides, apres-ski, ferris wheel, cinema, Dutch foods and drink, Christmas shopping and much more. It is definitely a unique winter experience.
- Location: RAI Amsterdam – Europaplein 24 – Amsterdam
- Price: Day ticket € 23.50 | Evening ticket € 14.50 | Kids (0-1) Free
- Opening days and times: From 19 December 2021 to 3 January 2022
- Opening times vary from day to day. Please see the Winter Paradise page for all opening hours.
Ice Skating on Rembrandtplein
Ice rink Rembrandtplein Amsterdam( Ijsbaan Amsterdam) is located at the famous square Rembrandtplein in the centre of Amsterdam. Together with Ice*Amsterdam this Ice rink is decorated in the winter theme.
- Location: Rembrandtplein – Amsterdam
- Price: Skating rink entrance € 2.50 | Skate hire € 5.00
- Opening days and times: From 3 December 2021 to 9 January 2022 | Open daily from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Ice Skating on the Jaap Eden Ice Rink
The most known ice rink in Amsterdam is the Jaap Eden Ice Rink. It’s very populair with locals and tourists. When the ice rink opened in 1961 it was the third ice rink in the world that had a 400-meter track. If you like ice skating you should definitely visit the Jaap Eden Ice Rink.
- Location: Radioweg 64 – 1098 NJ Amsterdam
- Price: Adult (>16) € 8,50 | Kids (4-15 years) € 5,10 | Kids (0-3 years) Free
- Rental: Skates can be rented from €7.00 per day
- Opening days and times: From 16 October 2021 to 27 March 2022