As soon as the temperature in the Netherlands drops, the Dutch start to dream of the prospect of being able to skate on the canals in Amsterdam. Even if the canals don’t freeze this year, there are plenty of places in Amsterdam to practice your skating skills during the Winter Festival Amsterdam.
Winter Festival 2022/2023
Corona / COVID19 update
As of 25 February 2022, all corona / COVID19 measures in the Netherlands have expired. Visit the official website of rijksoverheid.nl for more information.
About ice skating in Amsterdam
Although ice skating on the frozen canals of Amsterdam is a magical winter experience, it unfortunately does not occur every year. The temperature must remain well below 0 degrees for 4 consecutive days to make the ice thick enough to skate over it. When conditions look good, boat traffic from certain channels is blocked. Fingers crossed that this is happening this year.
However, every winter visit to Amsterdam includes a visit to a skating rink. The experience is unique and you have a choice of different ice rinks. Below you will find the best spots for ice skating in Amsterdam during the Winter Festival.
Ice skating on Museumplein (Rijksmuseum)
Are you ready for a winter experience at one of the best locations in the centre of Amsterdam? Ice*Amsterdam is located on the Museumplein just in front of the famous Rijksmuseum. This temporary ice rink is fully decorated in winter theme with Christmas trees, a winter market, special lights and even a replica of the Skinny Bridge in Amsterdam. If you are not into ice skating you should definitely go for some drinks or food. From 14 december till 26 December there is also a Christmas market at the Museumplein.
- Location: Museumplein Amsterdam
- Price: 2 hours skating including skate rental € 12.50
- Opening days and times: From 12 November 2022 to 5 February 2023
- Sunday till Thursday: 10 am – 10 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10 am – 11 pm
Ice Skating on Rembrandtplein
Ice rink Rembrandtplein Amsterdam( Ijsbaan Amsterdam) is located at the famous square Rembrandtplein in the centre of Amsterdam. Together with Ice*Amsterdam this Ice rink is decorated in the winter theme.
- Location: Rembrandtplein – Amsterdam
- Price: Skating rink entrance € 2.50 | Skate hire € 5.00
- Opening days and times: From 19 November 2022 to 8 January 2023 | Open daily from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Ice Skating in Amsterdam RAI
You will get the ultimate winter experience when you visit the Winter Paradise in the Amsterdam RAI. It’s basically a winter theme park for young and old. There are many activities like ice skating, snow slides, apres-ski, ferris wheel, cinema, Dutch foods and drink, Christmas shopping and much more. It is definitely a unique winter experience.
- Location: RAI Amsterdam – Europaplein 24 – Amsterdam
- Price: Day ticket € 23.50 | Evening ticket € 14.50 | Kids (0-1) Free
- Opening days and times: From 18 December 2022 to 2 January 2023
- Opening times vary from day to day. Please see the Winter Paradise page for all opening hours.
Ice Skating on the Jaap Eden Ice Rink
The most known ice rink in Amsterdam is the Jaap Eden Ice Rink. It’s very populair with locals and tourists. When the ice rink opened in 1961 it was the third ice rink in the world that had a 400-meter track. If you like ice skating you should definitely visit the Jaap Eden Ice Rink.
- Location: Radioweg 64 – 1098 NJ Amsterdam
- Price: Adult (>16) € 8,50 | Kids (4-15 years) € 5,10 | Kids (0-3 years) Free
- Rental: Skates can be rented from €7.00 per day
- Opening days and times: From 8 October 2022 to 25 March 2023
Het Amsterdamse Glijfestijn
From 23 December 2022 to 8 January 2023, experience winter in Amsterdam at one of the city’s most beautiful locations: the Olympic Stadium. In the open air and with plenty of space, you can enjoy the winter cosiness. Skate hand in hand on the centre spot of the stadium, slide down the tube-slide with jitters in your stomach, find the way out in the maze and cover metres on the cross-country track. Get all your friends and family together to go curling and end the day with a nice cup of hot chocolate or a cold beer. Together, we will quickly slide out of 2022 to start 2023 with a bang and a positive attitude!
- Location: Olympisch Stadion 2 – 1076 DE Amsterdam
- Price: Adult (>1) € 16,50 | Baby (0 years) Free
- Opening days and times: From 23 December 2022 to 8 January 2023. Every day from 9 am till 5 pm.