The winter season is the best season to visit Amsterdam. The cozy canals in combination with the many lights makes the city the ideal location for a great city trip. Many winter events and activities are organized such as an evening canal cruise, the Light Festival cruises, the Amsterdam Christmas markets and the various Ice Skating rings and winter events. Come to Amsterdam this winter and enjoy the Dutch hospitality. Please check our five tips below to fully enjoy your visit to Amsterdam during the Winter Festival.
Corona / COVID19 update
On Friday 26 November, new measures were announced to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Fortunately, it is not a hard lockdown, but there are important measures. Below, we have briefly described the most important measures. On Tuesday evening, December 14, there will probably be another press conference to see if and what measures are needed after December 17. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date.
- The new measures will apply from 28 November to 17 December 2021.
- Restaurants, shops, attractions, museums and events will close at 5pm.
- During the day, the canal cruises, attractions, museums have limited capacity. Book in our ticketshop.
- After 5 p.m. you can still go out and restaurants can offer take-away and delivery services
- The Coronapas QR code is mandatory at museums, ice rinks, canal cruises, attractions, restaurants, etc.
- In indoor locations, a mouth mask must be worn when walking.
- The Light Festival Amsterdam has permission to continue! How is not yet known.
- The (evening) canal cruise through Amsterdam sails every day between 10.00 – 17.00 hours.
- Ice rink on the Museumplein in Amsterdam is open every day from 10.00 – 17.00 hrs.
- It is not yet known if and when the skating rink on the Rembrandtplein will open.
- Visit the official website of rijksoverheid.nl for more information
Amsterdam Evening Cruise & Light Festival
A cruise through the canals of Amsterdam is a top attraction all year round. During the Winter Festival Amsterdam, however, the evening canal cruises are even more special. As it gets dark early, the lights along the canals create a unique atmosphere. During the Amsterdam Light Festival from 2 December 2021 to 23 January 2022, additional works of light art can be admired from the special Light Festival cruises in Amsterdam.
Ice skating in Amsterdam
The Dutch love skating on ice. It used to be possible every winter on natural ice, but nowadays it is no longer certain that skating is possible on natural ice. However, there are several skating rinks in Amsterdam every year where you can skate during the Winter Festival. Many winter events have a skating rink where you can skate. Check out where the best skating rinks are in Amsterdam.
Visit the Amsterdam Winter Paradise at RAI Amsterdam
In the winter season, there is a great additional winter attraction: The Amsterdam Winter Paradise. This temporary winter park can be found at RAI Station Amsterdam and there is plenty to do for young and old. Enjoy skating on the indoor and outdoor ice rink. Enjoy the fairground attractions, shop at the Christmas market and enjoy a Dutch snack and drink with performances by famous Dutch artists. This year, the Amsterdam Winter Paradise will be held from 19 December 2021 to 3 January 2022.
Christmas shopping in Amsterdam
The cosily lit streets and canals in Amsterdam create the unique Christmas atmosphere that can only be experienced in Amsterdam. The wide range of shops of international brands in various shopping area’s and cosy Christmas markets make Amsterdam one of the best shopping destinations in Europe.
Visit attractions, museums and nightlife in Amsterdam
Amsterdam has many great attractions and museums that can be visited all year round. Also in the evening and night Amsterdam comes alive with many nightclubs, discotheques and bars. Check out our tips for the best attractions and museums. Would you like to enjoy the nightlife? Then check out the Amsterdam Nightlife ticket.